Sunday, July 09, 2006

Quilted Drawstring Backpack

Anyone who has ever even rolled past a craft blog will know that Wise Craft makes the most beautiful quilted handbags. I find I keep checking her blog (and etsy shop) to see how her designs and fabric combinations are developing, and see references to her quilted purses everywhere in blogland. I couldn't help but pull out some fabrics and have a go myself.

For me, the challenge was to find a way to adapt Wise Craft's concept into something else. As I'd been meaning to make a drawstring backpack for myself, it seemed the ideal opportunity to pull the two ideas together. I used my favourite colour combination, and was able to use up a few random bits from my stash. Choosing the fabric for this project was a joy, it's so exciting to put together very different patterns.


I used this great tutorial from Happy Things to get an idea of the drawstring bag construction. I had to fiddle with the pattern a little, as I used a cotton batting as interlining and couldn't have it interfere with the drawstring closure.

The quilting is simple straight lines, which look great with the strips of fabric. The end result makes a useful everyday bag for me, but I'll make future versions a little larger.

3 comments:

futuregirl said...

You picked out a great combo of fabrics. The bag looks great.

Gisele Schoene said...

Very nice! I loved the color combination!

jojo* said...

Wow--that is beautiful! Wandered over from flickr. Love your stuff!