Friday, July 07, 2006

Retro Green Bag: Birds in Love

This bag is my entry for the Fancy Category in the July round of WhipLash.

All the materials for this bag just fell together in a magical way, it was like the bag just made itself in front of me. I'm sure other crafters know what I mean, some projects just come together with a life of their own, while others are pure struggle.


The bag is made from a green linen mix and a floral cotton with a retro feel, it has a slight a-line shape and a shoulder strap. It is lined with a very heavy interfacing and the bottom has been reinforced, so it has quite a rigid shape.

The plain green fabric was a circular table cloth that I found in a Thrift Store. I just loved the acidic green and had to have it, even though I knew I had nothing in my stash that would work with it. A few weeks later I was in a hurry and rushed into a Thrift Store to drop off some things and there were two retro floral pillow cases just smiling up at me, I couldn't believe how perfect they were for my thrifted tablecloth!

I love applique, so of course there is a motif appliqued onto the front of the bag. Recently I've been obsessing over a book on Early American design motifs, so the idea of two birds together with a heart has been in the back of my mind, just waiting for the right bag to come along. I love that the image is very peaceful, even though the fabric it's cut from is very hectic.

Inside the bag is lined in the same retro floral that the applique is cut from. There is one patch pocket, made from the same fabric as the exterior. I divided the pocket into two to make a place for a cell phone. There's also a little appliqued heart on the pocket, to link into the motif on the front of the bag.

The bag shuts with a magnetic fastener. The buttons on the flap are just decorative and I found them when tipping out my button jar, looking for something else. The buttons were the last little bit of serendipity, they rolled out on to my work table at that moment because they were the perfect colour and they wanted to be part of the green bag too.


whipup

11 comments:

TVTrayArt said...

I saw this on flickr. It is truly divine!! Beautiful and such wonderful craftsmanship!! WOW!

Katie said...

This is fabulous - I love it!

Lizzy said...

Hi, great bag! I came across it whilst checking out Craftster. Love the colours.

Lisa K. said...

Wow, you're lucky! And talented, too. I love your eye for color and pattern. What a nice couple of finds to make a beauty of a bag.

Doesn't the pillowcase almost look Amy Butler-y? Free Spirit-like, too.

Kari said...

OMG! You're in the Fancy category?!?! It's just so lovely that I know I don't stand a chance... I made a knitting needle case for my Mom's birthday, and was planning on entering the Fancy category. I really love this, though - I saw it on craftster, and thought to myself you should enter it in Whiplash this month. And then, you did! LOL

Heather said...

Lovely job. It's true, sometimes it all just comes together!

futuregirl said...

Wow! This is a great bag. The buttons are magical! I would have jumped out of the jar, too. :) Everything (the fabric, the applique, the interior detail) is amazing.

melba said...

I love the bag. Even more I love your story and how it all came together. Beautiful!

Kristin L said...

So pretty! I feel serene just looking at it.

creative kismet said...

gorgeous bag- just gorgeous!!!

Kate said...

This is beautiful. Lovely fabric and motif.