Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Storage and Organising Craft Materials


I've been trying to find a way to organise all the fabric, pattern pieces and trimmings that are getting out of control around me. Also, to implement some organisation systems so I can keep on top of lots of projects at the same time. I have very little space and wanted to see what I could acheive without a budget.

This is the space I have to work with. It's the cupboard under the stairs, but the backs of the stairs face you as you open the door. So the space diminishes as you move into the cupboard. I'm 5'2" tall and I have to duck down to get through the door!

I did feel a bit desperate about how to use this awkward space, but picked up some great tips from this thread on GetCrafty.

This is my solution so far. I attached three cup hooks to each step, and have a sort of filing system that reaches backwards into the cupboard. All my patterns, cut out lining and works in progress are on clips that hang from the hooks. The longest things are at the back, so I can see everything at a glance.

The best tip I picked up from the GetCrafty Forum was storing work in progress in plastic bags. Everything for each project stays together, and I keep these bags on the front hooks so I can reach out everything I need quickly and easily.

My next task is sorting out my fabric, and organising my scraps into a more user-friendly system.

1 comment:

texcilla said...

good luck! I've been trying to do this for years. my fabric seems to multilpy while I'm sleeping!