Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Quilt using Amy Butler duvet pattern


I wanted to make a quilt for my son that had a "boy" look to it. It seems there's plenty of inspiration for girly quilts but not so much for boys, apart from nostalgic cowboy or sailor pastiches, neither of which are relevant for my Sam.

The first inspiration came from Amy Butler's "In Stitches"
She has a pattern for a duvet cover that is covered in "bobble" shapes of varying sizes and is pieced together in a crazy selection of her fabric designs in pink and green. The unusual shapes of the applique give a very contemporary feel to the duvet. This is just what I was after for my quilt.

Next stop for inspiration was Reprodepot.com where I spent ages choosing fabrics that were colourful but still boyish. The hot-rod car print was a real find and determined the rest of the colour choices. I also used three Amy Butler prints and a Kaufman polka dot.

The duvet pattern needed some dramatic resizing, as Sam's bed is a converted cot-bed so much smaller than a standard single bed. On the plus side, this meant less fabric and also the width of the fabrics was enough to cover the width of the bed, so less piecing of the patchwork elements. It was a fairly fast project in the end.

I used an 100% cotton batting for the interior of the quilt and didn't pre-wash any of the fabrics. This way, the finished quilt can be run through the washing machine and the slight shrinkage of the cotton fabrics gives the quilt a "puckered" look which makes it more cosy and lovable.

The quilt's all finished now, apart from the final wash and pucker, because Sam wanted it straight on his bed. It does everything that I wanted it to, I think it looks like a boy's quilt and also has a retro cool without that cutesy nostalgic vibe. Sam loves it too, fortunately he's still young enough to accept his mum's vision of cool.

1 comment:

futuregirl said...

I love the pattern and the colors you picked. You are right that it's perfect for a boy. I'm so glad he liked it. :)