Sunday, February 03, 2008

This is... my collection

Bought to you by the "this is..." game hosted at Three Buttons.

This is my collection of "Housewife" books:


There are books on household management, recipe books, and books about mending and darning. A couple of them are reproductions of old books, but most of them are original.

The collection sort of started without me, when my mum and sister went to an antiques fair and found the "Make Do and Mend" pamphlet, thinking it would make a "hilarious" gift for me because I am a bit obsessive about re-using things, fixing things and making do without new things. Now, I go to the antiques fair whenever it's on and scour the old cookery books.

I do use the recipes, too. The "120 ways of using bread" book is insanely useful. The big, red Mrs Beeton book is from the 1930's. It was given to me by my grandmother and belonged to her mother. I also have a 1970's version of Mrs Beeton complete with lurid food photography:

11 comments:

Betty said...

heavens, that prawn/lobster/pea dish looks very very special!

I have a few of these as well, in my cookbook collection I have an old CWA cookbook, I still use and a couple of 1970s Cordon Bleu books. thanks for sharing

Jenny said...

What a fabulous collection! i bet there are some useful tips on how to be the perfect housewife in those pages-LOL!

Bec said...

Great collection! I love the 'lurid food photography description. So apt :P. Hey, feel like sharing any of your 120 ways of using bread? (is it sad that I'm interested???)

Juddie & Godfrey said...

A girl after my own heart! Ever since I found a fabulous 1940s book on Home Management I've wanted to collect this sort of thing. Your collection is wonderful :-)

Kyla said...

What a great collection, do they teach you how to cook??? If so please let me know. i am lacking in that dept. happy Sunday!
Kyla

Maxi said...

I love your collection! It's so funny to get a window of what things were like. Peas and lobster..hmmmmm

Kathy said...

Such a fun and useful collection :)

Dees said...

Great collection and useful too!xoxo

AnastasiaC said...

this is a great collection...they've reprinted the Mrs Beeton range of books...guess people enjoy being houseproud! i like Rita Konig's column in Vogue...not sure if she still writes for them but it was all about good housekeeping!

Stacey said...

that sure is some lurid photography!
What a great collection and I too would love to know more about the 120 ways to use bread. Umm, sandwiches, more sandwiches, toast?

Lesley-Ann said...

Such an original and fabulous collection! Where do you get these great books?

Have a great day!

xxxxx Les
http://fairytalecinema.typepad.com