Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cute and Simple Patchwork Belt - Tutorial

This is a cute way to make a dent in your scrap collection. I think these belts would make a nice present for a little girl to dress up a pair of jeans, in fact I think several of my nieces will be getting these throughout the year!

You'll need two D-rings, a pile of scraps, and if you want to make a wide belt you'll need some interfacing.

1. First decide on the finished size you want your belt to be. The one I'm making here will be 30" long by 0.75" wide. You'll want your finished belt width to be the same size as the straight edge of your D-rings.

2. Now, just a little maths to work out the size you'll need to cut your scraps. Double your finished width and add 0.5" for the seam allowances. For my belt that's 0.75 x 2 = 1.5 + 0.5 = 2. So I need to cut my fabric scraps to 2" wide. I varied the lengths from 1.5" to 3.5".

3. Once you've cut all your pieces to the right size, lie them out in a line and shuffle them until you're happy with the arrangement. Then sew them together with a 0.25" seam allowance.


4. Press the seams open. Then fold the fabric strip in half along it's length, with right sides together. Press and pin in place. (If you're using interfacing, place your fabric strip right side up on top of the interfacing. Then fold the two layers together in half. Make sense?)

5. Sew along one short end and the long side with a 0.25" seam allowance. Clip the corners, and turn through. Tip: Try using the eraser end of a pencil to turn through. The narrower the belt the more frustrating this will be, but it will be worth it!

6. Once you've turned your belt right side out, give it another good press - it'll need it. Then top stitch about an eighth of an inch from the edge, up one long side, across the one finished end, and down the other long side. Now just fold the raw end over a little and stitch it down, it'll be out of sight in a minute anyway.


7. Feed the end you just stitched down through the two D-rings by about 0.5". Make sure the raw edge is against the belt, out of sight, and sew along that stitch line. Then sew a second line up as close to the D-rings as you can get. Tip: A zipper foot will really help with this step.

And you're done! Thread onto some jeans and enjoy!


This is the first time I've written a tutorial down so just let me know if any of this makes no sense at all!

5 comments:

Bec said...

This tutorial is fantastic! Actually, I think may need one of these for myself :)

Katy said...

that looks great - and if I don't get too confused with the maths I'll have one for me soon!!!

A Spoon Full Of Sugar said...

Great idea. My 11 year old daughter is always looking for quick sewing projects - this would be just the ticket for her and easy to complete at one sitting.

Madison Avenue said...

I love this idea (and you used my favorite color combination!) I hope you don't mind that I posted it on my blog with a link back to you. Thanks for your inspiring work!
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of fun making this! (My belts were getting worn out so I used the hardware from the old to make the new instead of D rings) I used a black theme with Damask prints, and a couple colorful prints with the base being black.