Monday, March 17, 2008

Day One - Vintage Illustration

Pip from Meet Me at Mikes has started a week long meme about Vintage Childrens Illustration. Since a lot of my evenings recently have been spent browsing this Flickr Group I thought it would be great fun to join in Pip's meme.


These illustrations are by Joan Walsh Anglund. They are from a book called "Love is a Special Way of Feeling", first published in 1960, my copy is a 1967 edition. I love how quiet and peaceful these illustrations are, they stay just to the right side of saccharine. Half the images in the book are black and white and the rest are gently coloured in green and pinks.

This book has two hand written inscriptions inside the front cover. One, dated 1970, when it was given to a lady called Sue. The next inscription isn't dated, but is from 1982 when Sue gave it to me. It reads "to my dear little friend".


Sue would babysit us when our parents had to work late. She used to make me laugh so much that my orange squash would fly out of my nose. At the time she gave me this book she was in her late 60's and I was 7. I can't even begin to describe how grown-up and special I felt when I received this book.

13 comments:

Ulla said...

I love those little books! I have "A friend is someone who likes you", from my eldest sister in the sixties, and this one I have given to my husband in the very early eighties. The Finnish name is modestly "I like you"!

AnastasiaC said...

i love Joan Walsh Anglund - i have a few too...her illustrations are so darling, she knows kids so well!!!

just like mama said...

these illustrations are gorgeous.. they remind me of the old original winnie the pooh illustrations... *sigh*

xxjustlikemama

madrekarin said...

Just found your blog and I love it!!
I received that same book for Christmas in 1968. I was ten years old. My brother received A Friend is Someone Who Likes You that sme year. I love her simple, sweet drawings.
I wonder if my praents still have them boxed up somewhere? Off to look. :)

Sharon said...

Hi Net! Thanks very much for the advice, I've got an Etsy shop now!(All I need to do is make something!)I love these illustrations I've never come across them before, thanks again. Sharon x

Bird Bath said...

Very sweet & gentle mood, I like the soft pink and green hues together.

Bec said...

These illustrations are gorgeous! And I really love the story that goes with the book (your story, not the book's story - oh god that's really confusing isn't it!!!)

I wonder how many people are going to be digging around their parent's places searching for their old childhood books, as a result of these meme :P

Pip from Meet Me at Mikes said...

Oh. Oh. Oh. This makes my tummy go funny.. it's so Beautiful! And look how nice your blog is...! I've never been over.. I'm going to stay here for a little while and drink my coffee and have a lovely read!

megsie said...

i love joan walsh anglund too! I just chose her for my day 2 contribution. I knew she'd be a fav around the traps:)

ingrid said...

I love Joan Walsh Anglund too, and what a beautiful story to go with such lovely illustrations.
I have a copy of What Color is Love on my bedside table.

Kirsty said...

I've got this book - it is really gorgeous isn't it?

Lark said...

Oh this is so lovely! I think I have another books by her, a little tiny book, they are so special!

Caylie said...

aww cutesy little girly, wish I had her outfit. And thanks for the comment on my blog about the broaches, I hope you're right, I'd love to sell a tonne of them!!