Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Vintage Illustration - Day 3: Gyo Fujikawa


Today it's "A Child's Book of Poems" with pictures by Gyo Fujikawa, published in 1970. My mum is a big fan of Fujikawa's illustrations, she always got out this book to inspire us if we got stuck with school art projects. Some of the drawings are really sweet:


Some are very beautiful:

Some are just plain magical:

This is my favourite in the whole book. Not only does this boy sleep in a leaf, he also keeps his slippers on a toadstool!

There's an interesting article on Fujikawa being ahead of her time here.

If you'd like to find out more about this meme or see lots of other lovely blogs with vintage children's illustrations, then Meet Me at Mikes, I'll see you there!

11 comments:

Nicky said...

I love the last illustration of the little boy too! I love the little quilt he has... it's all very precious, and inspiring, just as all of your other vintage illustrations have been! I keep checking back.

just like mama said...

oh yay! These are just divine! I'm so glad other people love this illustrator as much as I do!
I definitely love the little boy sleeping on the leaf too... how magical!
xx just like mama

Sherrin said...

What magical illustrations! You could get lost for ages looking at this, especially the last picture. Just beautiful. :o)

Cass said...

Beautiful illustrations I will have to look out for more

Bird Bath said...

So sweet....I love the last picture.So cosy. I bet you could have some wonderful dreams tucked up like that:)

ingrid said...

Oh that last one really is magical! I especially love how the leaf bed has a little patchwork quilt!

Katy said...

Magical! I remember that book too from when I was small.

Lark said...

Gorgeous again! You have lovely books!

AnastasiaC said...

just beautiful! ive never heard of this illustrator but they are gorgeous!!

Bec said...

I had this book as a child and love it too!!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I love umbrellas, hence my umbrella quilt. I absolutely adore the illustration of the child holding the umbrella. Its darling.