Friday, March 21, 2008

Vintage Illustration - Day 5:

Simon and the Moon Rocket written and illlustrated by Edward McLachlan, published 1972.


Simon draws pictures on his chalkboard, then goes to the Land of the Chalk Drawings where his pictures have come to life.


There were a series of these books, but this is the only one I've seen. In this book Simon draws a moon rocket and goes on an adventure. He ends up on a planet where he's taken prisoner by some numbers he'd forgotten on his chalk board. To escape, he does some maths and turns all the numbers into zeroes.


Then goes home on the train.

Brilliant.

10 comments:

eileensattic said...

I remember making these kinds of pictures with crayons and black paint. But I never saw a story book illustrated this way. Truly it is brilliant!

AnastasiaC said...

oh this is fun!! my boys would love this one - they are really into rockets & space right now!

Bec said...

My son would LOVE this. Rockets AND a train. Hey, it doesn't get better than that! I'll be keeping an eye out for this one :)

Katy said...

I would love this book - it's beautiful!

Pip from Meet Me at Mikes said...

Oh..is that the one that goes.. 'Well you know my name is Simon..' at the beginning of the theme song?! I used to love to watch that on our ABC! Yippee for this one!

Kirsty said...

Just gorgeous.

RheLynn said...

What a great book!

katiecrackernuts said...

Yah ... I used to love the magic of these kind of pictures. Yeap, that crayon and black paint thing. Magic I tells ya.

Bird Bath said...

this looks great! I've seen the abc show but didn't know about the book.

Kathy said...

I watched this on TV too, I had no idea there were books! I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for sharing!