Sunday, April 27, 2008

This is... my favourite book

Dees choice for this weeks "This is..." was not just a favourite book but "My unconditional, passionately loved and favourite book". She also wrote: "Show me your bookshelf and I will tell you who you are." So I guess the title of my favourite book sums me up:


Though I've always read a lot of fiction, this is the book that I have picked up at least twice a week since I was seventeen. Rose Elliot's "Cheap and Easy" is full of simple, cheap recipes. This is the book that taught me to make pastry, how to shop and cook economically and the joy of stewed fruit. This book underpins my whole philosophy of life: why spend any more money than you have to? This book has been a vital companion throughout my adult life, that's why it's my favourite ... and it's got a hilarious title.

8 comments:

Cass said...

That looks like a great book

Bec said...

What a terrific book! I've actually got a cookbook called "Cookery the Australian Way" which was a high school home economics text book. And I still refer to it often. It has all the basics - and you just can't go past that!

Leni and Rose said...

Haha, your post made me laugh!!!!

Bird Bath said...

That looks like a treasure. I love simple recipes - even better if the process is cheap.

Jenny said...

You have kept it in very good condition! You must really love this book-looks like a good one.

Katy said...

That looks like a brilliant book. I have so many cook books, and I always seem to use torn out sheets from magazines instead. One day I'll realise I don't need to buy any more fancy books!!!

Maureen said...

A cookbook in that condition has to be good...and if you learned pastry from it..well!! no denying its value.

Jenaveve said...

Wow, I'll keep my eyes peeled for this title. I like your philosophy about spending. Sometimes I forget that it's okay not to spend money, that I don't really need all those things that advertising are trying to tell me I do. Taking a step back gives you clarity on that topic.