Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What's on page 123?

The lovely Bec at The Small Stuff extended an open invitation to join this meme, so I'm helping myself! What you do is this:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

It's pretty interesting to see what a book reveals about itself in only three sentences, and seeing if that small glimpse conveys the authors style and the overall tone of the book.


My nearest book is James Baldwin's "Another Country", and the three sentences are:

"The boy played the opening chord. The girl sang in a rough, untrained, astonishingly powerful voice:
I'm a stranger, don't drive me away.
I'm a stranger, don't drive me away."

The sentences do give a kind of feel of the novel as a whole, as it explores the slow inevitable self-destruction of a range of relationships, with characters loving each other while simultaneously destroying and driving each other away. This is not a happy read, but instead lyrical, magnificent and unbearably beautiful.

I've no idea who to tag, so please do help yourself if you're interested. Leave me a comment if you decide to join in, I'd love to see what's on your nearest page 123.

PS Thanks for this, Bec, I really enjoyed blogging about something that didn't come out of a sewing machine!

1 comment:

Bec said...

Wow - those three lines really do convey a specific tone don't they! Great review too - I might have to check this one out. Thanks for joining in. Yes, it is nice to do non-crafty posts sometimes isn't it :)