Sunday, May 18, 2008

This is... my way of recycling

This weeks "this is" was chosen by Three Buttons' mum. I didn't really want to show the world the messy jumble of boxes behind my kitchen door which is my "recycling organization center". So instead, something about re-using.

I have a compulsion to save and re-use containers. My collection of glass jars, especially jam jars is bordering on the ridiculous, but they are useful as vases, pen pots, containers for seeds, and occasionally a batch of homemade jam or marmalade. Also, they will come in very handy for storing buttons and thread when I can sort out a sewing space with shelves.


I am most proud of my watering can, which is an old bottle of laundry detergent with holes punched in the top. It's got a handle, so perfect for pouring, and the screwtop means that my 4 yr old can help watering without me worrying about a deluge of water on the plants, or the carpet. I have a couple of these so that I can fill them at once and water everything without trailing backwards and forwards to the tap.


I can't believe that I've just written a whole post about my watering can. Well done if you've made it to the end and are still awake! Now check out Three Buttons' sidebar for some much more interesting recycling ideas.

Note to self: Get out more, stop talking about watering cans.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

What a useful little watering bottle-just right for the job-good idea.

Julie said...

Ooooh, I'm going to go rinse out a detergent jug for my boys to use as watering cans. They are just perfect for little hands!

Kylie said...

Oh what a great idea - we have just put in a vege patch and might have to borrow the idea for miss 2.7

Bec said...

I LOVE this idea! I have organised a seedling planting session for Mother's Group this week for the kids, and these would be perfect for the kids. Thanks!!!

Two Peas In a Pod said...

Great idea on the watering can. It is so nice finding out what everyone does with some of their recyclables.
Cheers Kyla

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Very clever.

Lisa said...

I like your watering can. Definetly worth a whole post.

I use the same brand of detergent. :)

Bird Bath said...

Great idea - I think I'll have a go at making one myself!

Sarah C. said...

Great re-use idea! tfs! :)

Hannah said...

What a super fabulous idea!