Sunday, May 25, 2008

This is... something I've got but haven't used

Thanks to Flossy-P for this week's theme, and for making me confront some guilt.

I bought this photo emulsion kit at least a year ago, possibly 18 months ago. At the time, I thought how exciting screen printing would be. I researched online tutorials, searched for inks and mesh, bought sheets of acetate to run through my printer. Soon I had all the kit ready, the last piece I needed was the photo emulsion fluid to make my screens.


It was so exiting when it arrived in the post, I read the instructions, panic started to set in, I put it away safely... and it's still safely in my craft cupboard. Good old insecurities! I realized once the emulsion is open it has to be used within four months: what if I don't get enough brilliant ideas in four months? What if I can't make a design brilliant enough to make multiple copies of? What if I suck at screen-printing? What if I suck at everything?? (**pauses to breathe into a paper bag**).

Now that I've confronted this again, time to get out a calm pencil and paper and come up with some decent designs...

Want to know more about the "This is..." game and how you can join in? Check out Three Buttons.

6 comments:

flossy-p said...

Oh dear, sorry for almost causing a panic attack :)

It does sound like quite an operation, but I'm sure once you get everything set-up, and get started, there'll be no stopping you!

Sherrin said...

oh.... what you have sitting in that photo is my last step toward printing off my own fabric. I've made my screens, I have my ink, my acetate, I even recently got a copy of adobe creative suite... I just need the emulsion! lol Have fun! Just do it!! :o) :o)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

OK, breathe deeply. I know exactly what you mean about the craft fear. That is why I have such a huge stack of fabric, always scared I'm not going to do it justice.

BUT, I think once you do open it and do your first design, the ideas and possibilities are just going to flow.

Good luck, I'm going to watch your blog hoping it comes out soon ;)

Jenny said...

Good luck from me too-I'm sure you'll do a fine job

Maureen said...

What if...

* you really like it?
* you are really good at it?
* what if you become rich and famous?
and
* none of these come true but you gave it a go????

As I have to remind myself it is not a BFD. ;-)

Lisa said...

Looks like a bit of a challenge there. I'll bet you do a fantastic job when you are ready to have a go.