Monday, June 16, 2008
First adventures in screen printing
So, having been into screen printing for all of 15 hours now, I feel I have the authority to blog about it...
Well, I haven't actually printed anything yet but the journey to get the screen ready has involved so many adventures already, I wanted to get some written down. I have made heavy use of this great Instructable.
There are a lot of great screen printing tutorials online. However, I think the world needs a "Housewife's Guide to Screen Printing" which I fully intend to put together once I have all the necessary research. So far, though, I have discovered the following:
- How to build a screen using my patented half-arsed carpentry method.
- Just how many rooms in the house will have to be put to screen printing use (4 and counting).
- How to make a reflector lamp out of a cereal box and some tin foil.
- Diversion tactics so no family members burst in on a light sensitive screen while it's drying.
- How to find 1hr 45mins when the bathroom will be free for exposing your screen.
- How much water will go all over the bathroom while rinsing out a screen (a lot).
and the most extensively researched points:
- How to (almost) remove the stain of dark green photo emulsion from an off-white kitchen surface.
- How to mentally blot out the bewildered despairing looks from your family.