Monday, June 23, 2008

This is... an outfit that expresses my personal style

I rummaged the family Flickr archives to find a photo of me expressing "my style" instead of modeling for a new pic. This was taken in autumn 2006, and I wear that outfit, and variations of it, everday.

The skirt is made by me using a pattern from Sew U by Wendy Mullin. I adapted the pattern to make it more a-line and forgiving. There's some applique because I can't help myself. The brown jumper is a hand-me-down from my younger sister, she's always been taller than me and we can't seem to get out of the mind-set that I should get her old clothes. I'm wearing a brown t-shirt underneath, and flat brown boots. I like brown, ok?

I wear those boots when it rains, flip-flops when it's sunny and green converse at other times. I have a small assortment of t-shirts and jumpers, two pairs of jeans, two skirts and three dresses. Everything is in brown, dark green or rust colour and that's it. My style could best be described as: frugal, long-lasting, and infuriating for my family:
Husband, despairing: "My god, can't you buy yourself some clothes?"
Me: "For goodness sake, I'm too busy... and my sister will be having a clear out soon..."

Thanks to Kitty's Kaboodle for this weeks theme. Check out Three Buttons for a collection of bloggers much more stylish than me! :)

10 comments:

Sharon said...

I have much the same style, especially flip flops for summer, boots for winter! And wearing stuff you love till it falls apart is much more satisfying than buying crap!

Jenny said...

I like your style and that is a very lovely photo:)

monda-loves said...

OMG, I can't believe you have so few clothes. I think I go through phases - I wear the same thing all the time until it gets worn out, and then I have a splurge at the shops and spend a lot of money and buy a lot of things.

Mybe you could make yourself lots of new clothes - the skirt in the pic is lovely.

Monda
x

Maureen said...

I like the same things...there are 8 shortsleeved white t-shirts in my closet. I went thru a phase of staining them with food one year, and panicked. The next year I went to Target and Walmart AND a J Crew outlet and stocked up. Now I've stopped flinging food on my clothes..crossing my fingers.

You have a great style and it looks good on you. Nuff said. What does the man want you to wear?!?!?

Bec said...

I love this skirt - Wendy Mullin does the best patterns. The applique really makes it too!

Lisa said...

That skirt is just beautiful. I hear you chasing an aline and forgiving look :)

BigCat said...

That is a lovely outfit and photo. I could fill wardrobes full of clothes that I love. I'm not at all frugal.

Bird Bath said...

lovely photo - you look comfortable and stylish. The skirt is great..I will have to have a look for the pattern.

Juddie said...

Lovely! Classic style that looks fabulous :-) It's great to hear of clothes being worn and enjoyed a lot rather than being quickly disposed of, too.

Jenaveve said...

I love the skirt, especially the colour with the embroidery, it's really simple yet eye catching.

I tried (once) a pattern from Sew U and it didn't quite turn out the way I expected... I'd like to have another go one day though.