Sunday, July 13, 2008

This is... what scrambles my brain

Lovely Numbers

1. 6887, 2. letters & numbers., 3. CATHERINE Zipper Pouch - Numbers, 4. measured., 5. new perpetual calendar - craft 365 - day 234, 6. 222, 7. bean dolls on chair, 8. tape measures, 9. Numbers quilt

Numbers... they are my kryptonite. I just don't understand. They are so important and so useful and yet my brain goes to pieces in the face of numbers:

I write down a phone number and some of the digits switch places.
I try to work out which is the better deal in the supermarket, and I'm still there, twenty minutes later, with the back of my shopping list covered in maths, no nearer to understanding which one gives me more for my money.
How much fabric do I need to back this quilt? This can take days of scribbling numbers, sweat and tears.

I'm lucky though, I've always had understanding friends or family nearby who'll look at my pages of numbers and say "I've no idea what you've done here, but the answer is 3". When my best mate at college used to work out the utilities bill for our shared house of six people, the answer always came out to me owing her exactly the price of a pint! :)

Thanks to Juddie for this week's theme, and as always to the lovely Angela.

Oh, one more thing... if you're at a loose end in cyberspace over the next 3 days, could you drop by Threadless and vote for my husband's tee design? Thank you.


My Threadless.com Submission

12 comments:

Juddie said...

Oh I can relate to this! You should have seen my work colleague and me trying to convert a certain number of hours and minutes to decimal/proportional figures recently! It was quite an exercise, although the odd thing was that when we eventually asked some nearby maths-confident-looking people for help, we found we had arrived at the right answer by ourselves. We just didn't know how!

I can remember sitting in maths classes and asking the teacher "will we ever need to know this?!". I guess the answer was 'yes'.....

Lisa said...

I am ok with the numbers, but we used to have a receptionist at work who was not so great which always made for fun when she passed on phone numbers of calls to return...

Love the mosaic.

Hoppo Bumpo said...

I love the photos. I have to say I am a little numerically challenged at times myself. I'm the odd-looking customer at the supermarket, doing frantic calculations on a mobile phone.

Bec said...

Numbers are really not my thing either...I'm ok with short bursts of calculations, then my brain just starts going "bored now" and switches off :)
Hey, love your husband's tee design too. A big 5 from me!

Jenny said...

Yes I know what you mean! And when it is time to split the bill and you just can't work it out you start to sweat and then the answer is even harder to work out!

Moiface said...

Numbers I'm fine with but after years of spell check, I have developed quite a dependency... it's really pitiful. I've almost completely lost my ability to spell because of laziness!

Griffin said...

Oh good grief! I'm exactly the same! Yet I am fine with words - even good with them.

But numbers always hang around on street corners and laugh at me before dragging me round the bike sheds to duff me up.

AnastasiaC said...

fun mosaics...i loved your beach one too!!
im actually good with numbers but must admit i reach for a caluclator for the simplest additions!

andrealism said...

oh i have the same problems with numbers too! i used to tell friends that i have "numerical dyslexia" :p

Ruth said...

I'm the oposite, I totally get numbers, but struggle with typing sentances, I get letters mixed up or missed out.
I love the numbers related stuff, so very lovely. :)

Ali said...

Numbers do me in every time! I'm glad I'm not the only one in the supermarket, hopelessly trying to work out the best special!!

kim* said...

love your dollies