Saturday, August 23, 2008

This is... my favourite children's book

Woo-hoo! It's been a while since I played "This is..." it's great to be back in the loop! This week's theme was chosen by Potty Mouth Mama (fantastic name!) So, this is my favourite children's book:


Dr Seuss used to freak me out when I was a kid, I'm so glad I got over that! I love reading this book to my son. It's so beautiful, funny, mournful, crazy and very restful. Also, it really reminds me of Tom Waits. This is my favourite bit of the whole book:

"Five foot-weary salesmen have laid down their load.
All day they've raced round in the heat, at top speeds,
Unsuccessfully trying to sell Zizzer-Zoof Seeds
Which nobody wants because nobody needs.
Tomorrow will come. They'll go back to their chore.
They'll start on the road, Zizzer-Zoofing once more
But tonight they've forgotton their feet are so sore.
And that's what the wonderful night time is for."
Dr Seuss.


Want to see more favourite children's books? Check out Three Buttons, where Angela hosts the "This is..." game.

7 comments:

Ali said...

Dr Suess books used to freak me out a little bit too. I've rediscovered them with my son lately - haven't seen this one though!

Karin said...

I don't remember this one. I will have to have a look for it.

Kirsty said...

I've always loved Dr Seuss. The Places you'll go is my favourite.

Bird Bath said...

It sounds great! I like Dr. Suess very much and have never heard of this one before - I'll be looking out for it.

Jenny said...

Dr Seuss! Such timeless classics-the children still love them.

Stacey said...

I too was a little freaked out by Dr Seuss. I think it was the drawings.

potty mouth mama said...

Ooh yes, I love Dr Seuss.. That rhyme and rhythm hooks you in, not to mention the illustrations! Great book.