Sunday, September 28, 2008

This is... showing off...

Big thanks to May the Cloth be with You for the opportunity for some unashamed showing off. My first big show off is - I have stockists! There are actual shops (both online and brick & mortar) that stock my creations! (Check out the sidebar for a full list.) This is new for me. I have just recently become officially self-employed and "Area Thrifty One" has a year to prove itself a viable job choice. It was time to push myself, and - get me - some stores wanted my stuff! Including the stylish and totally brilliant FunkyFabrix. This is a picture of my sewing kit sharing screen space with the Sew Your Own kits from the truly awesome Angela! I am very proud of myself.


My next show off is one that everyone can join in! I learned this from Tricks for New Bloggers, which is a brilliant resource for blogger hacks and helped me put my blog back together after my non-back-up mishap. This is a great trick, you can get an email from Google everytime someone links to your blog. I'll do my best to explain it here:

Look up this URL:
http://blogsearch.google.com/?ui=blg
this is the Google Blog Search interface, in the search box type:
link:http://yourblogurl
replacing"yourblogurl" with the whole of your blog address.

The results will show a list of sites that have linked to your blog. (I got four pages of results - get me!) Scroll down the page, at the bottom is a list of options, including setting up an email alert. Now you will know when someone links to you. So you can pop in to their blog, say hi and thanks, get a dialogue going about something, cross promote, or just make friends. If my instructions make no sense at all, they are much better described at the original article here on Tricks for New Bloggers.

As always, thanks to Angela for hosting the "This is... " game.

16 comments:

Xiola said...

Wow! Congratulations on getting some stockists and being able to be self-employed, it must be like a dream come true!!

Griffin said...

Hurrah! Now you will have to work like the clappers!! It's your own fault for being that good.

I'll be checking out the bricks and mortar shops too as well as the online shops in search of... Area Thrifty-one... even if the gummint say it doesn't exist...(cue X-files type music).

Jolly Good Show, carry on numba one!

Bagladee said...

fantastic link, thanks :)

AnastasiaC said...

well done on stocking your products in real shops!!! awesome!!!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Thanks for sharing your good news!! Best wishes in your new venture. Thanks for the link.

Jenny said...

Yay!!Good on you!

BigCat said...

That's such great news. Congratulations. I am sure you will be hugely successful.

Thanks for the link to Tricks for New Bloggers. It sounds like a goodie.

handmaiden said...

great news on yr stockists. i am sure u will be viable...thanks for the handy hints, will have to check them out

Sasparilla Sue said...

I'd be showing off too if I had people stocking my stuff...or if I actually had stuff to stock. That's awesome, congrats! And thanks for the tip too.

Julie said...

thanks for the tip and the link to all the other tricks! Congrats to you on becoming self-employed!

EmBelISH said...

Congrat's on getting some stockists! Your work is fantastic I am sure you will go from success to success!
Bel x
p.s I am a BIG fan of Funky Fabrix they rock!

Sharon said...

That's fab, well done!!

handmade romance said...

Congrats on the stockists, that's really exciting news!!

RheLynn said...

Super Duper Congratulations on your stockists!!!! Cool little tech bit too, thanks.

handmade romance said...

Thanks so much for your comment over on my blog. Lots of great suggestions - much appreciated!

Bec said...

Wow! How very exciting to have your products stocked in shops!!! I'm not surprised though, your items really are just beautiful, and your eye for design and attention to detail must make them irresistible! Thanks also for the cool tip regarding links. I had no idea this could be done. Cheers!!! Bec.