Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Roasted Chestnuts


On the walk home from school today we went along a street lined with chestnut trees and gathered up handfuls of shiny brown nuts. Back home, we roasted them and then squished them open with teaspoons and scooped out the delicious kernals. Crumbs of chestnuts and bits of shell scattered across the table, Sammy smiled at me and declared "This is a brilliant snack!"

I'd love to pretend I'm an old hand at foraging and roasting chestnuts, but that was the first time I've seen so many of them lying around (we normally walk home a different route). It was also the first time I've cooked chestnuts. It was uber-simple, I googled this recipe. Best of all is showing a boy that it's possible, and plenty of fun, to find free food.

6 comments:

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Where I grew up there were lots of chestnuts but those were horse chestnuts and they were everywhere. I love roasting chestnuts and breaking them open to eat the hot nut. It is so fun.

BigCat said...

What a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Bagladee said...

Hi, You've won an award. Check out my blog to see. xx

Jenny said...

Lovely way to pass the time!

Bird Bath said...

what a fun snack...I bet it's the sort of childhood memory he will treasure in the future. sounds like a special afternoon.

Juddie said...

oooooh YUM! They're very expensive in Australia, and I don't know of any chestnut trees growing in my area. I do love eating them though.