Thursday, October 09, 2008

Sleigh Bells Ring...

... too early? Surely not! Ok, I hate Christmas muzak in the supermarket too, but I do so love seeing handmade ornaments and Christmassy bits and bobs starting to appear in blogs and on Flickr. I know it's only just October, but hey... I wanted to make some snowy things.

An applique Gingerbread House, in the polka dot snow. I made this into a little zippered pouch so it could be practical too. It would be such a great little gift with some Christmas chocolates hidden inside. Yum!

Then I made a little snowy scene of colourful houses with the tracks of friendly neighbours visiting each other with Christmassy wishes.


I'm having a minor identity crisis over whether to make more houses that are simple and cheery like the colourful snowy houses, or more fussy and elaborate like the gingerbread one. My heart says snowy houses style, but my hands and head can't stop the obsessing with detail like the gingerbread house. If you've got any thoughts about the houses, I'd love to hear them. Have you started crafting for the holidays yet?

11 comments:

BigCat said...

Oh, they are all so marvelous. I couldn't possibly pick one over the other.

I have been thinking about Christmas crafting. That counts, doesn't it?

Erin K said...

They are both DARLING! I think I like the little houses just a smidge better because I love the tracks from one house to the next, makes me think of friends and family visiting or carrolers going from house to house. Course I love the details on the other too.

I'm making Christmas presents now. Haven't made anything Christmas themed though. :)

Sasparilla Sue said...

I love them!!! Both of them. The gingerbread house does lend itself the idea of having something edible inside. I like that idea. But the colorful little houses are just too cute...it's a dillema.

As far as doing anything for Christmas...I haven't even started thinking about it yet but I'm a big procrastinator so my Christmas stuff doesn't usually happen until at least the first week in December.

Griffin said...

I'd say - stick with the ornate houses for a bigger scale and the simple ones for a smaller scale. I love the tracks from house to house.

You leave me with a dilemma. My birthday's in November, so I hate it when Crimbo stuff goes up in October and can Bah! Humbug! with the best of them.... but I love these a lot... what to do? What to do?...

monda-loves said...

These are both lovely, so maybe you should just make more of both.

I have also started making christmassy bits and bobs - it really isn't too early. It will be here before we know it. Scary really.

Monda
x

Swirlyarts said...

Oooh ask a tricky question! I loike the gingerbread house but I really like the simple houses with the tracks going between them :)

Jenny said...

I'm not going to be much help either as they are both just gorgeous and make such lovely purses and no Christmas too faraway in my brain to think about it yet!Great that you are getting organised.

Sharon said...

They're both beautiful, but I'm leaning towards the gingerbread house, the swirly embroidery is just fab!I haven't even thought about christmas yet!

Bec said...

I'm sorry I'm going to be not help at all, as I simply can't decide which I like best! I have been trying my best NOT to think about Christmas too much yet - it gives me a slight panicky feeling when I consider everything that needs to be done before then....eeekkk!!!!

Apryl said...

I think both are lovely.. and you should do both... beacuse they are so diffrent and yet both so christmassy at the same time... if you do both then its less likely that you will get board with doing one or the other... I love the little snowy village scene becuse its so cheery.. but I also love the frilly icicles on the other design.

syko kajsa said...

I love them all! So fresh and just adorable!