Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tchotchke House


Could there possibly be a prettier word in the whole world than "tchotchke"? I've only recently discovered it and think it has a lovely sound. Certainly much more romantic than "dust catchers" which is the term I would normally use.

Browsing Flickr I found this photo and my first sight of the word tchotchke. Doubly exciting because I'd just thrifted and repainted a small wooden house, to use as part of my craft show set up. It only cost me £2, some old paint and an argument with a 4 year old about what colour it should be. This image is my house in craft show mode, but after Christmas I'll have to start my very own collection of dust catchers.

3 comments:

ethel and edna's tearoom said...

I've wanted one for so long cuz I've got tchotchke all over the place - window sills, shelves, tables, kitchen surfaces. Knicks knacks rule in my world!

Can't say I'm liking the Polish version of the word though. lol

RheLynn said...

So cute!

Sasparilla Sue said...

Very cute. I love the hearts and the dollies. "Dust catchers" is much more romantic than the term we use...crap or junk depending on who's saying it.