Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Tiny Organizing Tips for Craft Rooms

As soon as the craziness of Christmas crafting was over, everything in the sewing room got bundled into boxes and pushed out of the way to make room for visiting family. Now that things are reasonably normal it seemed a good time to try to make some positive steps towards organization.

I've started with teeny tiny steps, but it's better than nothing and makes me feel in control of the chaos. Everything that gets tangled, ie ribbon, thread and floss, have been carefully spooled up and put into glass jars. This is a huge improvement, everything is tidy, visible and won't get dusty (sewing generates sooo much dust doesn't it!?). Also, I can finally make a dent in my collection of glass jars "that might come in handy".


My other tiny step towards organizing was to make master copies of all my patterns. Some of them are getting very dog-eared, so each pattern has been traced onto thin cardstock and filed carefully into large envelopes with sensible labels (rather than the box marked "random pattern pieces"). The intention is to keep these master copies safe and make working patterns from them as and when needed.

The filing system got a sort out too, with seperate folders for consignment contracts, invoices, receipts etc. and I even created a file for events so that I can stay on top of planning for different craft fairs.

There are also some over ambitious and slightly crazy sketches and floor plans for my ultimate organized craft room... but really, there's a lot a girl can do with some left over jam jars and a bit of elbow grease.

Here are some great sources of organizing tips:
Sew Organized
Martha Stewart

and inspiration from Flickr:
no estendal: Craft Room Inspiration
ketutar: My Dream Craft Room

6 comments:

Swirlyarts said...

There must be something in the air as I am sorting and tidying my craft room too :)

Bagladee said...

Yey for organisation!!! :)

Leni and Rose said...

Fantastic organisational skills! I should take a leaf from your book and do the same in my sewing room, which is an absolute disaster!

I'm off to check out those links forthwith!

Jenny said...

I have had an organising frenzy too-such a good feeling-off to check the links now!

Amy said...

I used my vintage canning jars to put odds and ends in too! The jar of ric rac is my fav. Your right..it keeps everything nice and you can find things easier.

Bec said...

Wow, this is so inspiring!!! I'm also a big fan of storing stuff in glass jars....but I still have a long long way to go before my sewing area looks anything like organised *sigh* I just need an extra cupboard...and uh...an extra room?!!!!!!!