Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Boxes

The ideal box is very hard to find. There's a set of magic dimensions for the perfect box, when you see them the box calls to you. You just want to pick it up, you want to see if it feels as right as it looks. Then when you pick it up, it has to have just the right texture, a very slight roughness, it has to feel functional, serious, like it means business. Then if you wrap it in gift wrap it has to give off an air of slight mystery and the promise of glorious treasure. It's a lot to ask from a piece of cardboard...


I've been looking for the perfect box for my newest range of sewing kits. The old packaging was fine, it was based around a nicely sized plastic ziploc bag. It kept the fabric clean and dry, it was fine. Fine - but not perfect. I spent a lot of evenings measuring boxes and researching boxes. I'd find box suppliers online and draw out the dimensions of their boxes to see how they would look. It was a long long search... but then I found them! They are beautiful, not too big, not too small, the perfect gentle grey colour. Now my whole work room is covered in boxes and they are so perfect - I love them!


If you've made it this far through a blog post about boxes I am seriously impressed. I can't quite believe that my obsession has lead me to write an entire post just about boxes, but I'm not alone. The best ever description of box-obsession comes from Jerry Seinfeld. I couldn't find a youtube clip but follow this link and scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "Jerry Stand Up" and you can read the whole routine. Here's an excerpt:

"That's all you think about is boxes. Boxes, where are there boxes? You just wander down the street going in and out of stores. Are there boxes here? Have you seen any boxes? I mean it's all you think about. You can't even talk to people because you can't concentrate. Shut up I'm looking
for boxes. Just after a while you become like really into it you can smell them. You walk into a store. There's boxes here. Don't tell me you don't have boxes. Dammit, I can SMELL them."
Seinfeld "The Boyfriend" episode, Season 3.

4 comments:

Laura P said...

I'm worried about the next time I give you a gift...will definitely wrap it rather than box it!

Absolutely Small said...

Ha ha! I've never thought about boxes so much before. ^-^ Those boxes look AMAZING, though! I think what makes them is the labels. They look stunning!

Cinnamon Swirl said...

haha, i have problems finding the right box just for storage purposes, so i don't even want to imagine what you have been through.

Btw, love the Seinfeld quote. That was actually the first thing I thought of when I read your headline and first sentence, well actually the one about when you finally find the perfect box ... but that's kinda morbid.

aimee said...

iv been hunting for boxes for my products and iv yet to find the right one. i love your craft kits xxx